Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Church Hill: St John's Historic District


image via This Old House website

The Church Hill: St John's Historic District in Richmond, Virginia is so named because of its proximity to St. John's Church, which is where Patrick Henry gave his 'Give me Liberty' speech in the Revolutionary War.

image from grvaa.com

The Church Hill Neighborhood was originally called Richmond Hill. Here's the view from Church Hill's Libby Hill Park to the James River:



The neighborhood is the site of the original Richmond land plat and is also the city's oldest intact neighborhood. The houses are from the late 1700's forward with many being late 19th century Italianate and Queen Anne Victorians. There are beautiful brick sidewalks and gas lanterns.





Elmira Shelton House on Church Hill (she was the love of Edgar Allan Poe)


Before and After on Church Hill


Broad Street

image fromreal estate Richmond.com


Look what I found while searching for photos of Church Hill houses. My old house for sale in Oct 2009. From the description, it seems like it has been updated some more:


2702 East Broad Street –
– This totally renovated 1885 Victorian has tons of space and wonderful light. There are two custom-made mantels, lots of original pine flooring, and many other original details. The hall bath is huge, with double vanities and separate tub and tiled shower. The kitchen is renovated with granite and stainless steel. The spaces are flexible and allow for formal and infor- mal rooms. The extra large laundry room off the kitchen provides for great storage or would make a perfect workroom. There is gas heat and central air, zoned separately for each floor. The large private rear yard is fully fenced and has a hot tub and brick terrace. Walk to The Hill Café, Captain Buzzy’s and shopping. Libby Hill Park is just a short distance to the south.


Yesterday morning I had a great surprise in my inbox - the current owner of 2702 E. Broad emailed to tell me that he had seen my post and loved reading about the renovation. He has done lots of work himself in the last 3 months since he bought the house and he was kind enough to send along some photos that I will post tomorrow. It's such fun to connect with the past and learn about the current state of this house that we loved so much. Thanks to blogs and twitter!

3 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about whether it's a good thing to return to the houses I've lovingly decorated...would I be shocked? Disappointed? Disgusted? In this case, it might be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a little strange to see "my" house decorated well, but in a very masculine way. Doesn't look like my house anymore - but then again it shouldn't - it has a new owner now. I'll post those pics later today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've shown our house to the grown children who grew up in our house before we bought it in 1977. They were cruising the old street for old times sake. I practically forced them in; they didn't want to disturb us. The place had changed a lot and they were stunned.

    But parts of the house were the same shape and configuration and I showed them everything included the attic. I could see the emotions from their many memories. It was a good thing for us and for them. The house raised 3 children before us and our 3 children.

    ReplyDelete