Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Brookgreen Gardens



If you've ever been to Pawley's Island, Litchfield Beach or Myrtle Beach, you've probably heard of Brookgreen Gardens. Archer and Anna Huntington established Brookgreen Gardens on 9200 acres in 1931 as a non profit wildlife and nature sanctuary and sculpture garden. Anna designed the sculpture gardens in the shape of a butterfly.

There are so many beautiful sights for the eyes - from all of the incredible sculpture to the 250 year old oaks in the Live Oak Alley garden. The oaks were planted in the 1700's when there was a thriving rice plantation here.






When standing under these huge oaks you can't help but be struck by their beauty and grandeur. These trees are the great grandparents of the gardens - full of age and wisdom and effortless grace.

Today, we will feature photos of the beautiful grounds and gardens, tomorrow will focus on the inspiring sculpture.






When we came to the beach here as children, my mother would always bring us to Brookgreen Gardens. I remember everything seemed so big - from the oak trees to the scupltures. Of course I take my own children to this magical place - a trip to Pawley's without Brookgreen just wouldn't be the same.




It's interesting how different elements catch your attention on each visit. On this trip the element that caught my eye was "a view." There are so many breathtaking views at Brookgreen. Everywhere I turned there was another "window." Each view leads the eye and the visitor to another lovely part of the gardens.












That's my daughter through the arch. Stay tuned tomorrow, we'll explore the sculpture in the gardens.

all images via Whitehaven

3 comments:

  1. So many doorways to beautiful places beyond...like walking in a green dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Helen. This was a staple for my family growing up with a treasured annual vacation at Myrtle or "OD." As long as my Mom & Dad promised us the Pavilion, they could get us to Brookgreen. I'm sure they picked the right time to yank us from the beach just before we exploded into blisters. I could run amok on the paths and see the neked statues. I remember they had an otter with a "run." I've never been as an adult. Someday maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to go there all the time with my parents. It was one of my father's favorite places.

    Like Terry, I feel this post.
    Thank you for the trip down memory lane. xoxo

    ReplyDelete